[lug] Petition the White House to end software patents

davide davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 08:54:11 MDT 2011

  Sent to you by davide via Google Reader: Petition the White House to
end software patents via Recent blog posts by mattl on 9/28/11

You can sign the petition by visiting http://wh.gov/gEm (please note,
you may want to block the JavaScript from the site, as some of the
files are nonfree programs).

Just last week, WhiteHouse.gov launched its new petition system, ''We
the People'', which they describe as "new platform that gives all
Americans a way to create and sign petitions on a range of issues
affecting our nation." They state that if, "a petition reaches a
certain threshold (initially 5,000 signatures within 30 days), it will
be reviewed by policy officials in the Administration and an official
response will be issued."

This particular petition has already accumulated over 12,000
signatures, and, at the time of writing this, it is listed as the 8th
most popular petition on the site! It's already hit the threshold to
require review and response from the White House, but more signatures
can only help convey the seriousness of the issue.

Let me add one more thing -- before my inbox is flooded with emails --
I agree that the text of the petition is not superb. It treats
the "software industry" as something unquestionably good, and it gets
the meaning of "antitrust" backwards. But, with that said, the petition
still sends a strong message and it is a good step in our collective
fight to eliminate software patents -- so I hope you will agree that it
is worth signing!

Send us your feedback on this blog post: campaigns at fsf.org or
identi.ca/fsf.

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Recent blog posts using Google Reader
favorite sites