[lug] ISP advice

Lori Reed lorireed at lightning-rose.com
Mon Oct 3 17:38:23 MDT 2011

On 10/03/2011 04:41 PM, Steven A Hart wrote:

> Just an update on this. After I bought my home, I was contacted by a
> company called "All Connect". They offered a special deal for Comcast
> which I accepted.

That's the first warning sign. A third party offer generally means
they're taking a commission on the product. I'm sorry you were taken.

<snip details of bad deal>

> All I really want is fast internet (on the order of 20mbps download)

Jeez Louise, how much pr0n do you need? ;)

> Can anyone make a suggestion for a reliable service that offers this at
> a reasonable price?

SFAIK, the only thing that can beat Comcast for speed is Qwest/Century
Link fiber optic, and that has a limited service area.

Just for fun, I checked our download speed:

http://www.speedtest.net/ says 9.3 Mbps download (I think that's about
what our contract with Comcast specifies)

http://www.speedmatters.org says 13.8 Mbps - I can't explain the
discrepancy.

Lori