[lug] Home Broadband Download Speeds

Lori Reed lorireed at lightning-rose.com
Tue Oct 4 11:43:28 MDT 2011

I'm wondering, of what use is 20 Mbps download speed for home use?

The 9 Mbps we get from Comcast is 50% more than is necessary to stream
DVD quality from Netflix, and on weekend nights Netflix often stalls at
that, and I doubt it's a "last mile" issue.

Nothing I've downloaded has *ever* come close to that speed so I have to
assume it's either slow servers on the far end, or clogged tubes in the
middle.

Even loading web pages with Firefox v3.6 seems to be more dependent on
how many ads from who knows how many servers than any inefficiencies on
my end.

So what am I missing in terms of web content? Multiple video streams (I
can see that being an issue, but so far we haven't done that)? What's
out there to demonstrate that I'm still living in the steam age of the
Intertubes?

Thanks in advance,
Lori