[lug] Home Broadband Download Speeds

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Wed Oct 5 22:31:27 MDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 11:43 -0600, Lori Reed wrote:
> I'm wondering, of what use is 20 Mbps download speed for home use?
>
> The 9 Mbps we get from Comcast is 50% more than is necessary to stream
> DVD quality from Netflix, and on weekend nights Netflix often stalls at
> that, and I doubt it's a "last mile" issue.
>
> Nothing I've downloaded has *ever* come close to that speed so I have to
> assume it's either slow servers on the far end, or clogged tubes in the
> middle.

I've just turned on a CenturyLink/Qwest 5.1 Mbps DSL in my apartment
tonight.  I've had some rough experiences with them in the past but so
far I'm able to saturate a 5.1Mbps connection with anything demanding:
yum downloading, Netflix, etc.

My goal with this line is to be able to stream Netflix while using a VPN
to work and doing a yum update at the same time.  Right now I could use
a 12-20Mbps line for that.

For any lurkers: I got a deal from an online chat with qwest: $14.99 for
6 months before it goes up to $45.  $15 sounds great, and $45 sound way
too high for 5.1 given what comcast is offering.  But the apartment
complex I'm in is in bed with dish so no comcast :(

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux System Administration / Computing Services