[lug] ifconfig question

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 10:03:48 MDT 2011

Hi,
I need my ethernet mac address (security guys need to allow my machine
to connect), so I type "ifconfig -a"
I expect to find a etho0 with its own HWaddr. Instead, such a thing is missing.
There is pan0 and wlan0, which both have a "Link encap" set to
Ethernet (aren't they supposed to be bluetooth and 801.something?)
with their own HWaddr.

Now, this is a just installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a brand new Dell, so
there might be missing drivers. In fact, the wireless doesn't see any
of the several wifi connections I have around (which I can see with
another similar, but older machine). Is there such a thing as a
Ethernet card driver? If so, how do you break the loop? Am I stuck in
an even more serious than this
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/239082 kind of problem?

Thanks,
Davide