[lug] ifconfig question

Stephen Queen svqueen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 10:46:33 MDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Davide Del Vento
<davide.del.vento at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I need my ethernet mac address (security guys need to allow my machine
> to connect), so I type "ifconfig -a"
> I expect to find a etho0 with its own HWaddr. Instead, such a thing is missing.
> There is pan0 and wlan0, which both have a "Link encap" set to
> Ethernet (aren't they supposed to be bluetooth and 801.something?)
> with their own HWaddr.
>
> Now, this is a just installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a brand new Dell, so
> there might be missing drivers. In fact, the wireless doesn't see any
> of the several wifi connections I have around (which I can see with
> another similar, but older machine). Is there such a thing as a
> Ethernet card driver? If so, how do you break the loop? Am I stuck in
> an even more serious than this
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/239082 kind of problem?
>
> Thanks,
> David

If you do a cat on /etc/udev/rules.d/NN-persistent-net.rules where NN
is a 2 digit number, you should see the
something like,
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*",
ATTR{address}=="00:2c:c0:81:1d:43", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0",
ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0".
At least I think this will work.