[lug] Anyone interested in .bit domain names?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Nov 1 18:56:14 MDT 2011

On 11/01/2011 11:55 AM, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> Interesting. Two questions I didn't find answered in the wiki:
> 1) Does Google crawl them?

If you publish them as example.namecoin.us, definitely.  If they become
popular enough, I would assume that google will set up the ability to
resolve them, but at the moment it doesn't look like Google Public DNS will
resolve them directly:

   guin:Documents$ host jafo.bit 8.8.8.8
   Using domain server:
   Name: 8.8.8.8
   Address: 8.8.8.8#53
   Aliases:

   Host jafo.bit not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

I'm giving away namecoins because I want to help promote them so that
perhaps they will reach the tipping point in popularity.

> 2) once you have the namecoind in background, can you use them as any
> other domain (e.g. ssh'ing, browsing, etc)?

namecoind has nothing to do with that, you need to set up something like
dnsmasq or a DNS server which will resolve them, point your resolv.conf at
something that will resolve them, etc...

This configuration is mentioned in this and other neighboring sections of:

http://dot-bit.org/HowToBrowseBitDomains#Make_your_own_DNS_server_that_support_.bit_domains

Sean