[lug] external monitor question

Anthony Foiani tkil at scrye.com
Sun Nov 6 22:17:22 MST 2011

Davide Del Vento <davide.del.vento at gmail.com> writes:

> The question: do you think this is hopeless and I should give up
> (given the 60hz vs 50Hz of the power line in Europe vs USA), or do
> you think that I should eventually be able to find a non "waving"
> mode?  Ah, I also tried on laptop battery instead of power brick,
> FWIW.

Most name-brand computers and peripherals have used "worldwide" power
supplies for a while now (10-15 years): they can generally take
anywhere from 90-240V, 50 or 60Hz.  (Exceptions would be devices that
require large amounts of power, e.g., large laser printers).  So that
shouldn't be an issue.

Likewise, VGA is a worldwide standard.  (Europe vs USA use different
TV standards, but VGA should be fairly universal.)

Do you have another cable that you can try this with?  I've
encountered some very low-quality VGA cables, and especially for
higher resolutions, the "high integrity" or "low signal loss" cables
are much better.  (They also tend to be quite a bit bulkier, which can
be a hassle if you intend to use this for connecting to projectors or
whatnot...)

Do you have another external monitor that you can try?

It really sounds like a signal quality issue; whether it's in the
laptop, the cable, the monitor, the firmware on the monitor or laptop,
I don't know.

Good luck,
t.