[lug] external monitor question

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 21:29:11 MST 2011

Thanks to both, now the monitor is working fine :-)

The details for the curious.

The UseBIOS (in /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/ this is Ubuntu and has a
very different way to set up xorg.conf) didn't have any effect.

The laptop exhibited the very same problem with a different LCD
monitor and a different cable (another computer worked fine with both
monitors and cables). So, it must have been the laptop. I wasn't
convinced it was a hw problem (not sure why :-) I dug a little more
and found the solution: adding the file /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf
with contents "options radeon new_pll=0 modeset=0" (in fact, this is a
radeon X1400 VGA card). Of course this didn't come out of the blue,
but from these bugs
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/541501 (and a few
related/duplicated ones).

Now, the weird thing is that those bugs claim that the fix has been
implemented in kernel v2.6.34-rc4  and closed. I'm running
2.6.32-34-generic, so either the fix has been dropped, or it's a
related thing with the same solution. I will sleep on it and report
tomorrow to the developers, just in case.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Davide