[lug] Evening LPIC-1 Prep Class

Thu Nov 10 11:37:48 MST 2011

I'm sorry if this is a repost, I didn't get a copy back, so I'm assuming my first attempt to post, failed because I tried to post to BLUG and CLUE at the same time.

Also, I failed to include a key piece of information: You have one week to buy the book. Registration for this class absolutely closes in 7 days.

Those of you waiting for the RHCE class will have to wait a bit longer (looks like April).

Those of you that have "no experience" or "some experience" who have always wanted to learn Linux "for real", and maybe get certified, this may be your chance.

My new employer, Datalogix, is letting me use their space on Thursday evenings, to indoctrin... er, teach Linux. AND, externals are welcome.

It's my intention to get everyone up to speed enough that we can run RHCSA and RHCE classes the same way, starting in about April, like I said.

The short version is: The class is free, but you have to pay for your own book, and use your own laptop to do labs and study. The books are $200 each, or $360 if you buy both in one shot. I make NO money on the books, and I'm delivering the class on my own time, and Datalogix is allowing me to invite you, my friends, because they ROCK!

The rest of the details are in the invite sent to the employees, which is quoted below...

Reply to me if you're interested, and I'll send the URL to the web-store.

************************** Full Invite ************************************

dlx|U is pleased to offer an after-hours training opportunity on Linux. Linux is software that is similar to Windows or Unix with one important distinction…freedom of choice. Under a General Public License (GPL) users are granted the rights to use, copy, improve, and even redistribute the product. Linux is common on many devices that we use on a daily basis. Some examples of devices that use Linux today include Lenovo IdeaPads, Garmin Nuvi navigators, Sony Readers, Android phones, and TiVo DVRs. A large part of the Datalogix Digital business infrastructure also runs on Linux. [clip]

What are the details for this course?

Our very own David Willson will be leading these sessions. There are no prerequisites in order to take the first course, however those with very little Linux experience must be prepared to study and practice outside of class hours in order to gain the knowledge needed to pass the exams. Learners must be committed to attending a four hour session one night a week for eight weeks per course. Each four hour session contains about 2 hours of lecture, followed by about 2 hours of lab. The value of these courses if taken outside of DLX can be approximately $1600…or more! The cost of the required course book is $200 per class and Datalogix will cover this cost for DLX employees. Classes will be held here in the Datalogix offices and participants must also bring a laptop.

What can this course provide for me?

Linux is a critical component of the DLX infrastructure and the industry in general, thus the stronger your Linux skills, the more value you can bring to DLX and your career. This first course prepares students to take the 101 and 102 exams toward the Linux Professional Institute (LPI) level 1 certification. It covers fundamental Linux skills such as file management and manipulation, text processing, command line use, package management, file systems, hardware, and more. Learners are encourage to take and pass the certification exams, so that you can be recognized for your accomplishment, however the exam is not a part or prerequisite of the class. Unfortunately due to the technical nature of these courses, we will not be able to offer remotely via WebEx.

The LPIC-1 prep course is comprised of two classes:

CLASS #1:

LPIC-1 (part 1 of 2) will prepare learners for the LPI-101 exam

· Class dates: December 1, 8, 15, 22, January 5, 12, 19, 26

· Participants will have one week off for cram and exam (No class on February 2)

· Course outline: http://www.gurulabs.com/partner-program/courseware/LPI101/

CLASS #2:

LPIC-1 (part 2 of 2) will prepare learners for the LPI-102 exam

· Class dates: February 9, 16, 23, March 1, 8, 15, 22, 29

· LPIC-1 part 1 is a prerequisite to this course

· Participants will take second exam at the end of this course

· Course outline: http://www.gurulabs.com/partner-program/courseware/LPI102/

When learners successfully pass both the LPI-101 and LPI-102 exams, they will gain LPIC-1 certification (details on the certification can be found here: http://lpi.org/linux-certifications/programs/lpic-1 ).

If there are any additional questions about this course, please contact David Willson directly at x1753, david.willson at datalogix.com<mailto:david.willson at datalogix.com>, or 720-333-LANS (5267).

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
RHCE MCT MCSE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 NovellCLA UbuntuCP
tel://720.333.LANS
Freedom is better when you earn it. Learn Linux.