[lug] gnome shell, unity and going back

Jeffrey S. Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 12:52:25 MST 2011

Davide,

I always just go with whatever's distributed by default, and tell myself
I'm stretching my boundaries -- it's good for me.

Unity felt incredibly clumsy when it first forced itself on me (10.04
netbook edition?  I forget), but I'm used to it now and don't think about
it.  I recently installed the gnome shell on one of my Ubuntu 11.10 boxes
just to get comfy with it.  Since I'm used to Unity, it's not a huge shift.

I think of both new UIs as launchers, like Avant/Gnome-do/Launchy, and use
them like that.

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Davide Del Vento <
davide.del.vento at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> after half a day spent trying to figure out why my shiny new debian
> box was completely broken (menus disappearing, missing applications
> and commands, a lot of weird behaviors - I thought I had by mistake
> apt-get-remove'd something critical), I figure out (after a clean
> reinstall) they've just pushed out the new gnome shell.
>
> I'm sick, after half a day spent with it (even in fallback mode) I
> want gnome 2 back. Does anybody have any experience in running any
> distribution with gnome 2? And I mean, any distribution committed to
> providing future support, not just an old distribution with a nearby
> end of life (I couldn't find any, but maybe you've done more
> homeworks).
>
> Did anybody moved to KDE? With what success? What about switching
> XFCE? I'm considering this my only option, at this point.
>
> Or did anybody hated gnome3 a lot (even in fallback and trying to
> restore the "super-needed" functionalities such as
> "focus-follow-mouse", "minimize" and "maximize") and eventually
> learned to like (or at least cope with) it?
>
> And yes, I've seen the few articles on LWN about it, starting from
> this one: http://lwn.net/Articles/433409/ (not sure I've seen them
> all, so if you have a link to a good one, please post, even if it's
> behind the paywall: I'm member).
>
> Bottom line question: I know only myself can know what I need and like
> and I should try it by myself. However, since this is a major switch
> which I was hoping to avoid, I would love to learn what other people
> did - I mean, people who loved gnome 2 and hated gnome 3 (and unity
> FWIW) when they first saw it, if you are not in this category, feel
> free to comment, but it's not your opinion I'm looking for :-)
>
> Thanks a lot.
> Davide

Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell], http://seejeffrun.blogspot.com [blog],