[lug] gnome shell, unity and going back

Simos blug at chinesetearoom.com
Fri Nov 11 13:14:48 MST 2011

On Friday 11 November 2011 12:56 David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Davide Del Vento wrote:
> > I'm sick, after half a day spent with it (even in fallback mode) I
> > want gnome 2 back. Does anybody have any experience in running any
> > distribution with gnome 2?
>
> Sorry, no.
>
> I had 2 computers running KDE when they switched to KDE4 that couldn't keep up with the increased
> load.  One went to XFCE (it's missing some things I'd like, like a user switcher that doesn't
> require gdm) and one is still KDE3.
>
> The KDE3 one will not be maintainable for the long run, as packages that KDE3 depends on start to
> conflict with newer important packages.
>
> But I was thinking it would be nice to have current KDE3 packages.  It worked and some people don't
> want to learn a new UI.  That ought to be possible since it's Free Software.
>
> For one box it probably isn't worth the time but I wonder how many others would like the same thing.
>   Wouldn't it be funny if the old version (of KDE or GNOME) managed to attract more users than the
> new ones for a time?
>
> Dave

I'm a long-time KDE user and although I'm not really keen on KDE 4 (I've been
grudgingly using it on my main Debian stable box the past year) I doubt that
older KDE releases will manage to attract a lot of users - everyone seems to
want more eye-candy and "social features".

However, for my less powerful machines (e.g. an older Thinkpad laptop with
limited memory) I plan to go with Trinity:

http://www.trinitydesktop.org/

who are actively maintaining KDE 3.5 for many distributions. Even the KDE
project itself seems to endorse it:

http://dot.kde.org/2011/11/08/trinity-project-keeping-35-alive

As for Davide, are you running Debian unstable? If so, that might explain
at least some of your problems.

Regards,

Simos