[lug] gnome shell, unity and going back

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 20:18:36 MST 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Michael J. Hammel
<mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 12:19 -0700, Davide Del Vento wrote:
>> Did anybody moved to KDE? With what success? What about switching
>> XFCE? I'm considering this my only option, at this point.
>
> I've been with GNOME since it got "useful" but periodically bounced over
> to XFCE when they introduced some feature that annoyed me.  But that
> hasn't been in some time.

Yes and yes. See comments below.

> Then I upgraded a laptop at work to F15.  Ugh.  I immediately made XFCE
> my default.  GNOME 3 is pretty.  GNOME 3 is new and shiny.  GNOME 3
> completely breaks my long trusted and well structured desktop workflow.

> from across the room.
>
> XFCE is very stable and keeps most of my workflow in place.
>
> I have a bunch of systems on F14 (and a major server at work at F12)
> that are gonna go to F15 or F16 very soon.  I guess I'll find out how
> much XFCE keeps me happy when I do that cuz GNOME is out.  Period.

looking for :-)

> Not only do I dislike Unity, I don't use Ubuntu (unless work *REQUIRES*
> it, which I try to avoid if possible).
>
> But I'm getting old.  I grew up with setting my desktop by choosing
> which apps to put in my .xinitrc.  Now it feels like the children are
> running the asylum.

I can't give any recommendations for Gnome 3, but I've avoided Gnome
like the plague over the years. I've run nearly all the major distros
at one time or another using xfce or kde. Both have met the test of
time for my needs.

When I made my last major switch, I was looking for a usable version
of kde 4. The initial versions were not to my liking. Then I came
across PCLinuxOS and found exactly what I was looking for (ca. 2 years
ago). pclos has just the right mix. It is a continuous upgrade distro
(install once, upgrade forever). It is available in Gnome, KDE, XFCE,
and LXDE flavors. I'm running kde on my desktop PC, LXDE on my
netbook, and life is good. If you really want Gnome, you could try
their Gnome flavor to see if it is as well rounded as the KDE variant.

My only gripe is the fact that pclos clings to ruby 1.8 whereas 1.9
has been out for ages and the ruby developers are discouraging use of
1.8. pclos has gone so far as to make it difficult to remove 1.8 from
the system!!!

Enjoy,

--
Collins Richey