[lug] SOPA

Glenn Murray glenn.murray at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 10:22:57 MST 2011

Hi,

I think it's relevant, too.  This seems like a ham-handed attempt by content
producers with an incomplete understanding of the value of an open internet
to try to protect intellectual property rights.

On the other hand,  it seems that the open source/free internet community
has dropped the ball in developing mechanisms to protect content producers
from copyright infringement, or even on agreeing that such mechanisms
should exist.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

As the creators and disseminators of many tools that are used to circumvent
the law, it would seem that the open source community is neglecting an
opportunity to do this right instead of having an unfortunate solution imposed
upon them.

Cheers,
Glenn