[lug] Intel Storage Matrix RAID

George Sexton georges at mhsoftware.com
Wed Nov 16 12:57:44 MST 2011

On 11/15/11 12:44 PM, Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-11-15 at 12:32 -0700, Matt James wrote:
>> Hey LUG,
>>      Does anyone have any experience working with Intel Storage Matrix
>> RAID and RHEL / CentOS?  Without going into too much detail, basically
>> I'm having some funky things happen when trying to install to a RAID1
>> setup.  I'm wondering if anyone else has ran into trouble with these
>> controllers.  Google seems to advise to stay away from this
>> configuration. :-(
> As far as I know the Intel Matrix RAID stuff is only a BIOS layer for
> booting. All of the RAID after the machine boots is done by the
> operating system.

That's what I've observed. On my Windows box, it updated the driver and
I lost RAID.

I'm a big fan of 3Ware SATA controllers. They're extremely reliable, and
if you drop a drive it's very straight forward on how to proceed. They
also have a pretty decent manager/web interface that can email you if
something's going on. I can't tell you how many times I've found a
customer box with a failed RAID array because it ran degraded for two
years before finally failing.

> Now, last time I played around with this, Fedora automatically brought
> up LVM configured to match the Intel RAID settings. There might be a LVM
> device configured for your system.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
303 438-9585