[lug] gnome shell, unity and going back

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 18:05:36 MST 2011

Thanks all.
I tried XFCE for 10 days and it is much better than Unity, Gnome3 and
Gnome3 fall-back. And much better than it was last time I tried it
(don't remember when, but more than 4 years ago for sure), However
it's subpar compared to gnome2.
I will probably try KDE for 10 days too. I briefly tested the other
mentioned options too, but didn't like them much (at least not at
first sight). Sigh.

> Wouldn't it be funny if the old version (of KDE or GNOME)
> managed to attract more users than the
> new ones for a time?

It would, and I believe most (if not all) of us are in that category.
Since this is the year of the linux desktop (again :-) and the average
user is not a geek anymore but an luser, these dumbed-down interfaces
are succeeding.

Seriously, what do you think would be the critical mass to maintain
security updates and bug fixes for gnome2? And i guess to maintain
also some regression tests for the major distro, since I believe they
have already made their choices to proceed further with the newer
releases? Interesting to see that for KDE, trinitydesktop is doing
right that! I will try trinity too :-)

Happy Thanksgiving.
Davide