[lug] ubuntu desktop vs ubuntu server

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 17:43:27 MST 2011

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody has tweaked an ubuntu desktop LTS
installation to make it look like a server installation and thus get 5
years of updates. I know an option is to do a server install and then
put the GUI on top of it, but I don't really need anything from the
server (besides the 5 years of updates), so the other way around seems
easier for my purposes.

Or are the "desktop packages" (e.g. firefox) non upgraded anymore
after 3 years anyway, and thus this trick would be worthless?

I know from 12.04 ubuntu will give 5 years of support to desktop too,
but I'm looking for a current (not future) pre-unity, pre-gnome3
version

Thanks,
Davide
PS: I will tell you the story about XFCE and KDE one day, the grumpy
editor of LWN will look like the nicest and kindest guy in the world,
that day...