[lug] iPod/mp3 players.

Simos blug at chinesetearoom.com
Tue Nov 29 23:13:45 MST 2011

On Tuesday 29 November 2011 11:00 David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Can anyone recommend something similar to an iPod that is more Linux friendly or less proprietary?
> I guess I mean something that includes a full size screen (like the iPod Touch) with a camera.  I
> don't know whether I care about movie playback and such.
>
> Besides the premium you pay to have an *Apple* product I saw an older iPod recently that wouldn't
> give up its pictures without heroic measures.  Uggh.  So I'd like something high quality, durable,
> that can be managed without iTunes-like service and with standard Linux tools.
>
> Bonus if it can play Ogg. :-)
>
> Thanks!
> Dave

Dave,

None of them have cameras but I really like Cowon/iAudio MP3 players (or "PMPs"):

http://www.cowonglobal.com/

They play Ogg & FLAC (why I got one originally) plus a ton of other audio/video/image
formats, have great sound quality, and the ones I've had work well on Linux.

This is a pretty good place for similar non-Apple products:

http://anythingbutipod.com/

Simos