[lug] Camcorder that works well with Linux

shart at colorado.edu shart at colorado.edu
Sat Dec 3 10:54:03 MST 2011

I have a 4-5 year old Sony Handycam DCR-SR62.  It's not high def but it
has a 30GB hard drive so no tapes, disc, etc to change out.  The video
quality is great and the sound is good.  Sound is even better with the
extra gun microphone attachment.  When you plug it in via usb to Ubuntu,
it mounts like any external drive.  No extra software needed to pull off
the videos.  If you let it run for a long time, it automatically starts
a new video file when the files reach the 2GB size limit.  On the
highest quality setting, it's about 30 minutes of video for each
individual 2GB file.

I'm sure the newer Sony handycams will interface with Linux in the same
way.

cheers

Steve