[lug] replace sw raid mirror with larger disks (migrate)

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 9 16:14:12 MST 2011

does anybody know if / how to migrate a *live* linux sw raid 1 mirror to larger drives?

my system has 80 GB sw mirror (installed a couple of years ago) but i want to swap them out with 1 Ts.  would probably be a useful exercise to do if it can be done successfully vs simply reinstalling from scratch and restoring from backups.  fyi, i only have 2 drive bays so i'm going to have to somehow shutdown one half of the array and migrate the live half to the the newly installed drive.

haven't been finding much info online.  my google fu probably isn't up to scratch.  but any links or suggestions helpful.

otoh, since this is a centos 5 system, perhaps it would be best to upgrade to centos 6 fresh now while i'm taking the system down and restore data from backups.  anybody have thoughts on stability of centos 6 at this point?  perhaps i bite the bullet now and just reinstall 6 from scratch b/c i'm just going to have to do this anyway.

thanks