[lug] thunderbird doesn't honor default KDE browser

Eddie Kovsky edkovsky at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 18:57:26 MST 2011

Thunderbird maintains its own list of default applications. I've had a
similar problem with how it handles file attachments.

This might be helpful:

If you are unable to launch Firefox (or another Mozilla browser) from URL
links in a Thunderbird mail message, or if you want to change the browser
that is launched<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Changing_the_web_browser_invoked_by_Thunderbird>,
add the following lines to the user.js
file<http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file>,
located in your Thunderbird profile
folder<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird> (you
may need to create the user.js file). Change the path of the Firefox
executable, if yours is not */usr/bin/firefox*.
[9]<http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=632167>
 [10] <http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=599654>

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox");

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser#Setting_the_browser_that_opens_in_Thunderbird_-_Linux

-Eddie