[lug] Making an HTTPS tunnel to an FTP server

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Dec 20 23:13:25 MST 2011

Glenn Murray wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if someone on this list had any experience with this
> problem.  I have a ProFTPD server running on port 21 behind a
> firewall.  I'm like to create an HTTPS tunnel through the firewall to
> ProFTPD so that users outside the firewall can connect to ProFTPD
> using the same ProFTPD credentials as inside the firewall.

So if you want a VPN that listens on port 443 then OpenVPN is probably the way to go, as already
suggested.  You could also probably use SSH port forwarding or other methods from [1].  All of which
depends on your firewall not proxying SSL/TLS or looking too closely at the traffic.

OpenVPN already uses SSL/TLS so probably it fits the bill.  If you actually need HTTP at some point
there seem to be ways to do that (http://www.nocrew.org/software/httptunnel.html).  There also seem
to be a lot of web pages that take your name/password to set up a VPN, so maybe there are other ways
to do it too (those are likely not Free though).

Dave

  1)
http://www.amazon.com/Building-Linux-Virtual-Private-Networks/dp/1578702666/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324447303&sr=1-5