[lug] Making an HTTPS tunnel to an FTP server

Chris McDermott csmcdermott at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 13:54:44 MST 2011

I think you should look at Apache mod_proxy and mod_proxy_ftp modules. You
could set up an Apache server listening on 443 (HTTPS), which would then
proxy the requests to an FTP backend. If you actually care about security
inside the backend network, you could even use stunnel or something to
encrypt the communications between Apache and your FTP server.

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy_ftp.html

Once you have Apache configured, I think the configuration would be
something relatively simple like:

ProxyPass / ftp://ftp.server.net

Chris