[lug] Wireless router config

Steve Sullivan sullivan at mathcom.com
Tue Dec 27 06:40:13 MST 2011

I'm installing a Dlink DIR-615 wireless router and apparently it
doesn't connect to the WAN.  What am I doing wrong?

The Dlink status page shows everythink OK, but
when I try to ping from the dlink out to 204.144.142.1
I get "domain name is invalid".  And nothing from
the Debian workstation reaches the WAN.  I'm attaching the
status and ping screen shots from the dlink.

The old setup that works is:

  comcastModem --- linksysRouter --- debianWorkstation

The new setup that fails is:

  comcastModem --- linksysRouter --- dlinkRouter --- debianWorkstation

The working linksysRouter is a Linksys Etherfast Cable/Dsl Router,
and I'd like to keep it in the chain.  I'm wondering if the dlink
router refuses to talk to linksys??

Many thanks,

Steve

Steve Sullivan      sullivan at mathcom.com