[lug] BASH Scripting book recommendations?

Simos blug at chinesetearoom.com
Tue Dec 27 12:14:28 MST 2011

On Tuesday 27 December 2011 11:56 Jeffrey S. Haemer wrote:
> Brian,
>
> I've heard this question three times in the last month.  I have some
> experience writing shell scripts and I'm not a huge fan of any of the
> books, because what they teach doesn't resemble how I program.
>
> If you're local, and able to show up for Hacking Society, on Thursday
> nights, I'd be happy to teach you, gratis.
>
> For a reference, I actually recommend the bash man page.  It's big, and
> pretty clear.
>
> On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 11:23 AM, bclarkinco at juno.com
> <bclarkinco at juno.com>wrote:
>
> > I would like to start learning BASH scripting.  Can anyone recommend a
> > newbie-friendly book on the subject, as well as a more thorough
> > reference-type book?
> >
> > Thanks - Brian

> > Join us on IRC: irc.hackingsociety.org port=6667 channel=#hackingsociety

Brian,

You're probably already aware of all this, but I've actually found this quite
good in the past (as a reference, at least):

http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

This may also be useful:

http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/

And finally there's also the reference manual, right from the gnu's mouth:

http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/

Regards,

Simos