[lug] best way to move samba shares to a new server

Sat Dec 31 11:31:40 MST 2011

Careful about that.  I'd selectively copy lines from passwd, shadow, and
group if it were up to me.

Also need the Samba users and smb.conf.

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

-----Original message-----
From: Dan Ferris <dan at usrsbin.com>
<lug at lug.boulder.co.us>
Sent: Sat, Dec 31, 2011 18:25:56 GMT+00:00
Subject: Re: [lug] best way to move samba shares to a new server

Oh, and don't forget that you'll need the same passwd, shadow, and group
files on both servers.

Dan

On 12/31/2011 10:06 AM, Brian Stiff wrote:
> Hi folks-
>
> I've an Ubuntu Hardy machine that I'm using as a CIFS, NFS, and iSCSI
server for my home LAN.  I set the server up in a hurry about a year ago to
replace an ailing QNAP NAS (it worked great, I couldn't have been happier
with it, until one of the ethernet ports died, three weeks out of warranty).
 I spent a fair amount of time setting up various CIFS shares and sorting
out the CIFS and Unix permissions to my liking.

> I've finally gotten around to setting up a longer-term solution, and I'd
like to move the Samba share structure en masse to the new machine, and
maintain the various permissions.  I've not had good luck issuing the right
Google search to find guidance on the best way to accomplish this in bash or
using Webmin; both servers are headless, and I didn't install X on either.

> I'd appreciate all y'all's (no, I'm not from Texas) suggestions and
thoughts on the best way to move/copy the files, while maintaining the
permissions.

> Thanks,
Join us on IRC: irc.hackingsociety.org port=6667 channel=#hackingsociety