[lug] best way to move samba shares to a new server

Brian Stiff bstiff929 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 2 20:09:51 MST 2012

Thanks for your comments.  I've been testing samba shares that were migrated to the new server based on you guys' advice, and I'll most likely be moving the data with rsync over NFS after I'm satisfied that the shares are only open to whomever they're supposed to be available to.

The samba shares probably would've been adequate for moving the data, but after looking around, it appears that rsync offers better speed with NFS.  With over 3TB of data, I'm not excited to listen to my wife drumming her fingers to get to her work data while rsync does its thing.

-B