[lug] Samba, VPN, unison & speed

Ben Luey bluey at iguanaworks.net
Wed Jan 4 09:00:00 MST 2012

> Have you tried setting the TCP Window size to adjust for the bandwidth
> delay product?
>
> http://fasterdata.es.net/fasterdata/host-tuning/linux/
No, I haven't tried it, but I'm connecting to the VPN with internet
speeds of 1-5 Mbps, so my reading (see below) is that those
optimizations would only degrade performance in that context. Also, I
don't want to (significantly) degrade performance for people on the LAN.

"*Note that most of the tuning settings described here will actually
decrease performance of hosts connected at rates of OC3 (155 Mbps) or
less, such as home users on Cable/DSL connections.*"

Thanks for the suggestion though,

Ben