[lug] Samba, VPN, unison & speed

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Jan 4 17:59:28 MST 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 16:47 -0700, Ben Luey wrote:

> > Ben, with 90ms RTT latency, even a modest TCP window size of 56
> > kbytes should suffice to "fill" a 5 Mb/s pipe, so maybe it's
> > something else.
> >

> I should have mentioned this initially. I can get basically full
> network utilization over https when doing a bulk transfer through the
> VPN, the issue is related to smb, samba, file sharing,etc.

The Windows SMB protocol has many problems. Its design makes it
difficult to get high speed out of any network. If you're not already,
make sure you're using CIFS over TCP instead of SMB. Most modern Linuxes
should default to that anyway.

That's why Microsoft invented SMBv2 which is much improved. I think you
Samba 4 to be using it from Linux. And you need Windows Server 2008 or
Windows Vista or newer.
--
Knowledge Is Power
Power Corrupts