[lug] LUG Digest, Vol 99, Issue 5

philburt stortsky ppld.phil.stortz at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 6 12:47:36 MST 2012

if you are concerned about the drives, i'd recomend any of the avaiable tools to read the "S.M.A.R.T." data, and checking the relevant logs for any problems.

it may just be the new drives driving something in the case at resonance (though still not good).  i assume you used 4 screws per drive?  you might try moving them and possibly not having them in adjacent bays, it could be a "beat" signal between the two drives vibrations.

out of curiosity what brand and model are they?  what does the manufacturers data sheet say about drive acoustics?  finally it's possible that it's not the drives but a wire barely touching a fan or some other unintended change when the drives were put in.  it's hard to say, some drives are just noisy and some resonate with some cases.  if they are in slide trays, adding some electrical tape between the drive sides may help, though if they are not in trays it may slightly aggravate cooling (since the tape also provides thermal insulation), and not likely to be a problem with most drives. do they have a high spindle speed like 10k or 15k rpm?  most drives are slower other than high end server drives, usually SAS etc.  If they are "ordinary" seagate SATA drives at 5.2k rpm or so i'd try a little tape in any case and then check the drive temp after use with a SMART viewer which is always a good idea any way to make sure the drives are not running hot.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits"  Albert Einstein