[lug] webmail recommendations

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 15:00:51 MST 2012

Zimbra is really nice if you don't mind something of a "black box"
setup on a dedicated machine. Digging into the guts is kinda
nightmarish with the customizations they do, but it's really all
standard packages under the hood. I would strongly suggest _not_
setting it up on a machine you want to use for anything else. Makes
your life harder. Put it in a VM if you can't dedicate hardware. Doing
backups on the free one if kind of nightmarish though. I wrote a
rather large script that lets you do pseudo-hot backups with minimal
fuss. It's been a couple years since I used it though, so it might not
work with current builds. At least it will make a good starting point
if it is broken. If you go that way and would like a copy message me
off list and I'll send it to you.

I'd recommend Roundcube if you want something more flexible. I've had
good luck with it, both on the admin side and the user side.

QH