[lug] best way to check a new hd that might be going bad

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 15:07:20 MST 2012

Unfortunately what you're probably hearing (if it's a problem at all,
it could just be the acoustics of the new drives) is a platter bearing
or motor that's a bit off. Also unfortunately, there's no way to test
for those with any surety. As far as diagnostics go, it's pretty much
a binary "Drive spins? (yes/no)" that doesn't allow for all the shades
of grey in between. If I were in your shoes I'd just give a nice
intensive burnin (with dban set to continuously run or something) for
a couple days, and if it survives, run with it. Maybe if it's an
"important" machine, make sure you have a spare on hand already in
case something goes sideways.

QH