[lug] webmail recommendations

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Fri Jan 6 15:32:04 MST 2012

Comments below.

----- karl horlen <horlenkarl at yahoo.com> wrote: -----

> i would like to install webmail on a server.
>
> anybody have thoughts on going with squirrelmail vs something else
> that might have more features, security, better updates?? i'm not sure
> what the "something else" might be which is why i'm asking.? btw,
> gmail is not an option ;)? i want to run my own webmail on my own
> server for a variety of reasons.
>
> i have a squirrel mail account with an isp i use and to my knowledge
> there is no easy way to add contacts from emails you receive.? you
> have to actually cut n paste which kind of sucks.? a little js or ajax
> in the webmaill app could probably change that.

Are you looking for just email with perhaps some contacts or address book feature or are you wanting a whole webmail suite?

On the "whole webmail suite" there is Zimbra, Horde Webmail, and Virtualmin as initial thoughts.  The latter two one can pick and choose the MTA backends along with the desired "extras" such as spam, antivirus/malware filter, etc.  I concur that Zimbra can be a "black box" since it will try to run itself from its own container on a server, plus do run Zimbra on a dedicated "Zimbra only" server as also suggested.  The Zimbra Open Source Edition has some third party Zimlets (aka mashups for Zimbra) that can handle the missing Mobility and Backup/Archiving if those are desired but also on a per user annual fee (lower priced than the Zimbra Network Edition or Zimbra Appliance though).  Zimbra also has issues with multiple SSL certificate virtual hosting (i.e., only one SSL cert for the entire server) as another concern and thought if you needed to host multiple domain names with SSL certs included.

On the "front end" or "end user" side there is SquirrelMail, Roundcube, and Usermin.  All three can be installed as front ends to Virtualmin (GPL and Pro versions) as well for reference if you to "test drive" all at once.  Depends on preferences and taste.  For those wanting that "Windows Mail" (aka "Microsoft Outlook Express") look and feel, Roundcube parallels this to some degree from my perspective.

Minus the Horde Webmail Suite, Linux ETC can offer all of the above for test driving as well on a limited basis.  Zimbra would be the Network Edition version which I can discuss the differences between the various versions as needed another time.

HTH and FWIW.

--- Crawford
PS: Pardon any delayed responses since I receive this email list in Digest format.

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA
voice:  +1.303.604.2550
web:    http://www.linux-etc.com

Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.  Be friendly to the environment by saving paper.