[lug] Registering a website and maybe trademark

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Sun Jan 8 13:57:10 MST 2012

>> I just have the "Quest" DSL, so I'm sure I don't have a static, but I
>> know
>> there are people that take care of that.
>> Recommendations?
>
> I've used dyndns.com.  Personally I would just pay CenturyLink a few
> bucks to get a static IP.

agree with rob here.. it's like $5.95 / month for fixed ip.  of course
they will bend you over for $25 setup fee ;).. but after that it's just
the monthly fee.

keep in mind that visitors to your site at home will be retrieving your
website pages at the slower upload speeds tied to your internet service
since they will be coming in from the outside to your home.  probably not
an issue but could be depending on what your website is serving up

>> Also - want to register company name/ trademark, etc.
>> Attorneys advertise doing that for anything from $99 to $750 - what's
>> the
>> easiest, cheapest route?
>
> Have you ever noticed that "Google" is (tm) not (r)?  I've never
> registered a trademark.  Just put the trademark in use right away,
> make it public in text on your website with a clear "tm", and you
> should be good.  If it is related to your domain name all the better.
> If the company starts to get big, you can always register later.  More
> info here http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp
>
> To register a company, you just need to go to
> http://www.sos.state.co.us/biz/FileDoc.do
>
> You'll need articles of incorporation and a resolution or two.

fwiw, if you're a sole proprietorship aka DBA (doing business as), i think
you just have to provide business name that isn't used yet, pay a fee and
you're good to go for a year.  then you renew every year.

one thing i did after setting up as a sole proprietorship was to get a
separate tax id for the business.  you don't have to do this but i do it
so that when i open up a business checking account, i have it tied to my
business tax id vs my ssn.  i just think it's good to separate the
business stuff from the personal stuff though you don't have to.  as a SP
(sole proprietorship) you will file all your income under you personal
return anyway.

don't ask for the steps required to get a business tax id.  i forgot since
i haven't done it in awhile but i think you print a pdf form and send it
in.

> If you don't expect to have liability issues, shareholders, employees,
> or significant income, I wouldn't bother setting up a company.  If you
> have an existing company, just DBA.  If you don't, just use a sole
> proprietorship.

totally agree with rob here.  it's just simpler all the way around.  if
you're a one man operation it's really the way to go.  allows you to test
the waters without all the extra cost and time wasted incorporating, most
of which you will receive zero benefit from.

the one caveat of DBA'ing under a SP is that you assume full
responsibility for any legal damages related to your business.  aka if
someone wants to sue you they can come after your personal assets.  if
you're doing software or providing some kind of service, your risk is
pretty low. but if someone can trip or be injured by whatever it is your
doing, even if visiting you at your house to discuss something, you could
be liable.

just keep that in mind.

> I'm not a lawyer, accountant, or MBA.  You should consult your lawyer
> or accountant for your personal situation before making any decisions.

i'll second that for myself :)