[lug] Wireless router config

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Jan 9 10:53:04 MST 2012

Those are the latest comcast DNS servers.

Speaking of which - their VOIP modem has wifi but I've never been able to
get it to work reliably with my linux boxen and the DLink(?) network
extender/print server. So now I have the somewhat annoying situation where
I to daisy-chain the routers.

Two somewhat major annoyances with that VOIP modem:

1) it defaults to 10.0.0.x. That's not a biggie unless you have other
hardware that defaults to 192.168.1.x since so many mass-market routers do.
Maybe configuration isn't a problem for windows users if the vendor's
configuration app is smart enough to know how to change network settings to
allow access to that subnet even if the DHCP-assigned subnet is 10.0.0.x.
It can be a pain in Linux.

2) there doesn't appear to be any way to disable the WIFI.

I haven't checked whether it's possible for to turn off the one-touch
configuration. If not it's a Mack truck-sized hole for anyone who wants to
piggyback on your WIFI for various nefarious acts.