[lug] Core i7 / Linux / graphics

Steven A Hart shart at Colorado.EDU
Tue Jan 10 10:59:54 MST 2012

  Hey everyone,

I'm trying to put together a new system for a client using a Core i7
sandybridge processor and I've got myself all confused about the built
in graphics that are included.  With the core 2 quads I'd just get a pci
express video card which was NVIDIA based and the job was done.  Now I'm
seeing some sort of built in graphics on the processor and the
motherboards come with an HDMI port but say they do not have an onboard
video chipset.  Hence my confusion.

So if I buy the i7, with no pci express video card, and no onboard
graphics on the MB, will Linux still run with accelerated  graphics?  I
just don't want to shell out the money and then have the thing not work
as I expect.

Any advice for this idiot (i.e. me) would be appreciated!

Steve