[lug] RHEL 6 Nouveau versus Nvidia for graphics

Steven A Hart shart at Colorado.EDU
Fri Jan 20 11:25:10 MST 2012

  I loaded up a new RHEL 6 system and by default the Nouveau graphics
took control.  It looks accelerated but I'm worried about it handling
higher end graphics. The system uses a decent NVIDIA card.  Is the
Nouveau graphics just as good, better, or worse than the drivers
provided by NVIDIA?

I'm not 100% familiar with the Nouveau graphics so thought someone here
had more experience with it.

This is not a gaming system but the graphics requirements are similar to
that of a gaming system.

Thanks

Steve
--