[lug] Feb blug talk

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Jan 20 15:39:01 MST 2012

On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 15:06 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> I'm afraid I wouldn't be a good person for that, since I use Xfce (and
> maintain it for Fedora as well). :)

Cool.  Got any tips on using it for GNOME 2 converts?  I've noticed
switching workspaces is really slow if the destination workspace has
lots of GNOME terminals open in it.  Ever noticed that?  Does the XFce
terminal behave better possibly?

> Gnome3 continues to fix things and advance. Some folks really like it,
> others don't. I guess time will tell.

I think I'm done with GNOME. Their target audience has different goals
than what I try to do with my desktop.  I only used it initially cuz
Miguel built it from GTK+, GTK+ was C and not C++, and GIMP begot GTK+
so I just followed the bouncing Wilbur.  But now its time to move on.

Does xfce use pulseaudio?  I noticed Skype isn't happy with audio if I
have a browser open that is already streaming audio.  I have to close
the browser and restart skype to get access to the correct audio device.
Or is that a skype issue?

I have some other minor nits here:
http://www.graphics-muse.org/wp/?p=876

Some may be F16 specific, others may be xfce related.  None are show
stoppers.  I switched to msmtp for outbound mail and that fixed the only
show stopper of ssmtp not working.

--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>