[lug] RHEL 6 Nouveau versus Nvidia for graphics

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 13:15:14 MST 2012

<Snip weirdness>

Wow, that is weird. I assume your X config is setup to be all
automagical? Does the problem persist if you don't use HDMI and switch
to DVI or the like instead?

Based on what you describe it almost looks like the unloading and
reloading of the X drivers (which happens when you out and in since
the session restarts) is putting the hardware into a bad state. It
almost looks like device address mapping awry.

I'd also check to see if there is a BIOS update available for your
motherboard. The only time I've ever seen problems remotely like this
a misbehaving BIOS was the root cause. Sometimes you can pass the
kernel parameters to work around it, but there's usually a performance
or efficiency price to pay when you go that route.

If there is no updated BIOS, or if there is and it doesn't fix the
problem, I'd suggest going back to Nouveau if it meets your needs
rather than spend a bunch of time banging your head trying to get
"extras" working.

QH