[lug] RHEL 6 Nouveau versus Nvidia for graphics

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 13:27:33 MST 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Steven A Hart <shart at colorado.edu> wrote:
> I might be able to live with the nouveau drivers but I'm going to bang away
> on this for a bit before I give up.

That's the spirit!

> Could it be the NVIDIA driver itself?  I may try to load up a previous
> driver juts to see what happens.

It certainly could. Those drivers are complex pieces of software. I'd
suggest making sure your chipset is explicitly supported by the
version you're using. There's also a chance the manufacturer did
something weird with the card that introduced some incompatibility.
I'd do some research on their support forums and a few different
prayers to google with the board's model and see if anything weird wrt
Linux comes up.

Oh! One last thing. What about power? I assume board has an auxiliary
power connector and that it's all hooked up? Is the PSU sufficient to
power the system? I've also seen weird behaviors similar to what you
describe (though not so repeatable at logout) caused by borderline
PSUs.

QH