[lug] Help request: Not able to activate networking on recovery mode. Ubuntu 11.10

Pablo Calderon-Rodriguez ninocito at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 13:15:01 MST 2012

Hi all,
I am hoping someone can help me get my install of Ubuntu 11.10 working
again.
When I start in recovery mode and select "Drop to root shell prompt with
networking", networking is not up.

'start networking' returns
networking stop/waiting
Same result with variations such as /etc/init.d/networking start or service
networking start

'start network-manager' returns
Could not get the system bus. Make sure the message bus daemon is running!
Message: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No
such file or directory

I am completely stuck and Google hasn't helped. Some people reported this
problem when upgrading from 11.04, but that's not my case.

For completeness, the reason I need to start in recovery mode is that I had
pinned xserver-* packages to downgrade to a version of the displaylink
drivers I was trying. When I rebooted the screen went black and even
Ctr-Alt-F1 didn't work. I'm trying to update the packages again but can't
because of the networking. I think this is unrelated to the networking
problem but I could be wrong.

Thanks a lot to anyone who can shed some light!
Pablo