[lug] Feb blug talk

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Fri Feb 3 10:02:54 MST 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 11:49:31AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> I'm on the hook for a talk for the Feb meeting (the 9th).
>
> I thought I would toss out a few ideas for talks and see what folks
> would like me to talk on. ;)
>
> - Fedora arm: status and progress
> (I have only slightly been involved in Fedora arm, but I could read up
> and get up to speed for the talk)

I would love to see an ARM talk, or at least some coverage of it.  As the web site notes:

   ARM chips are the most widely-produced processor family in the world; they have historically been used in cell phones and embedded applications, and are increasingly used in tablet devices and low-power-consumption servers.

 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM

I've been following the ARM work in Ubuntu, and am particulary interested in seeing yet lower-power servers, both on racks in the cloud and for stuff like NAS boxes.  Anything that reduces power in the cloud could have a significant impact on costs and even the carbon budget of the planet.

I'm even hoping that as we evolve a new platform, we can see something that avoids some of the legacy mess (like the BIOS) that we've inherited from many decades ago.

> - Fedora Infrastructure: Managing a distributed network of servers
> (This is my full time job, I'd be happy to show how we use puppet and
> haproxy and other tools to provide services).

My sense is that while this is interesting, we've had talks much closer to this over the years, so some variety would be better.

> - Fedora 17 features
> (By the meeting time we will know the list of planned features for the
> next Fedora release (17) and I could talk on these).

Most of the followup to your mail covered apps, features, etc, so I think there is interest in this also.  Certainly on my side (and ARM is part of that).

Thanks - I'm looking forward to whatever you have to say, Kevin!

Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/