[lug] The deal with applets / notifications / panels / indicators / systray.....

Bruce Long qstream at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 18:59:29 MST 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 6:21 PM, Rob Nagler <nagler at bivio.biz> wrote:

> One of the things I've learned about programming is that starting with
> a "framework" like proteus/slipstream is the wrong way around.  Sit
> down and tackle a few "models" for real problems you have, and see
> what it is like to keep them up to date and returning useful results.
> Often times, there are so many special cases (don't get me started
> about broker data feeds) that the problem seems intractable until the
> structure emerges after a lot of head banging.

How would you do it without a framework? Standards? I hate standards. I
hate XML. You could make your own description language and map it to
Proteus and I could map Proteus to your language but that would still be a
"framework." I created Proteus to fix the many problems with XML such as
not working well with inter-related models like "what's happening in
Boulder", "What's happening in Colorado", "Where is Brad Goode playing
tonight" and where is there live jazz tonight.

If it's a handful of us creating models we'll likely have some neat, useful
tools. Imagine if we could get lots of folks as did Wikipedia. Call me
crazy, I've tried to design the system to scale to billions of people --
just in case. Almost no coordination will be needed to do it. No standard
language, no standard protocol -- make your own "distro" that uses your own
language; if you map it to Proteus my engine will do things for you. Or,
make your own engine and I'll map Proteus to it! It's open source. (BTW,
the git-hub repo is stale. LMK if you want up-to-date source.)

> Have a great weekend. :)

Thanks! You too!

> Rob

Give me immortality or give me death!