[lug] The deal with applets / notifications / panels / indicators / systray.....

Bruce Long qstream at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 14:40:51 MST 2012

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the thoughtful response.

It sounds like you are recommending against using a *pre-existing*
 framework
because it may not be tailored to your specific case.

Perhaps the pre-existing frameworks you have tried are simply not good
enough?
I can certainly see that point. You have a specific problem to solve and if
the framework
you use doesn't do what you need it to do it becomes a problem.

Modeling languages such as OWL that model properties can require a huge
amount of work to
solve even a simple problem. However, modeling language that model states
of systems are
much easier to work with because the real world has state while
'properties' are an overlay on top
of state.

It's likely that the model you have created is actually modeling state, not
properties. at least in most cases.
I find that people model things like "Jazz" vs "Blues" in a property-like
fashion because the state model
of genre distinctions seems intractable.

So the problem I see with a custom, domain-specific modeling framework is
that when you need
the model to be able to make distinctions based on music genre or on
concepts like 'brick and mortar"
you're suddenly out of the domain and out of your domain of expertise.
Nevertheless, you'll need
that concept modeled to solve the problem -- whether you model it via a
complex 'if/then/else' structure
or as a formal model.

Also, a general purpose system can do things like keep data collection
separate from the decision making
process. This helps because if there are several ways to come to a
conclusion one guy can model how to
obtain the data while another works on how to make the decision once the
data is in place. (OWL can do this
but you're stuck with the "objects have properties" paradigm when you
really need the "systems have state" paradigm.)

RE: wiki-like decentralized models, what keeps technology from reaching
critical mass, like with Wikipedia? Here are some things I believe I have
accounted for:

   - People want to know the technology they choose will be around long
   after the founding entities are gone.
   - People want to know that there will be interoperability, even in the
   future.
   - People want the easiest to use technology that isn't missing any
   must-have functionality.
   - For some people, a certain emotional structure must be in place. This
   is one thing Microsoft is missing.
   - People want to feel that they can make a real (vs token) contribution.
   - Some folks want to join a club, other want to avoid clubs. MySpace and
   iPxxx are clubs. FB and Andriod can be joined in either emotional mode.

Proteus was a pain to create. If there had been a better solution I would
have gone with it.

Give me immortality or give me death!