[lug] libreoffice fonts: Helvetica

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Mon Feb 13 05:09:56 MST 2012

Hi,

FYI, I'm using Fedora 16.

I've been looking around as to where to find fonts which do not seem to be available
anymore, but which are (and have been) free for a long time...especially Helvetica
(historically, this was the free equivalent answer to MSs Arial). Documentation from
the Open Office substitute "libreoffice" has been rather pointless. I did install a few
fonts, via yum install of rpms found in yum search, and even those do not seem to
show up in libreoffice. I'm wondering why it is so hard to find Helvetica? Anyone
here have Helvetica available, and if so, where did you find it? Was it just an rpm,
or was extra configuration required to make libre office see this? I really need this
to avoid being forced into using windows, despite all of my best typesetting
software being on Linux. I suppose I could reboot back and forth...

Thanks,

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net