[lug] RHEL 6 Nouveau versus Nvidia for graphics

Steven A Hart shart at Colorado.EDU
Thu Feb 16 11:55:10 MST 2012

Just a follow-up on this in case anyone is interested.

I think I finally found the culprit.  For the past month I just ran
RHEL6 with the Nouveau drivers and it was OK.  Graphics were a bit
choppy at times but all in all OK.  I decided to take another look and
do some testing with hardware.  I ended up reloading the system for
RHEL5 as RHEL6 was also acting a bit weird for me.  I confirmed that the
graphics issue still existed with the NVIDIA drivers on the clean RHEL5
install.  I then replaced the video card with an older nVidia
Corporation G72 [GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS] card and voila, no graphics
issues whatsoever.  Acceleration using the NVIDIA drivers works like a
charm with no weirdness.  Either I got a bad card originally or there
may be an issue using a card with the DDR3 memory.  Other than that, I
don't see too much of a difference between the cards on the whole.

Here's the card I had originally that was causing the problems:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125366

I went ahead and ordered a couple new card to test things a bit more.
Also, it never hurts to have a couple spare cards around.

I ordered these:
First one using DDR2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121473

Then another using DDR3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130607

Once they get here I'll test and see what happens with each new card.
It could just be that I got a bad apple.

I'm just happy it works with NVIDIA as I was not really happy using nouveau.

Steve

--
Steve Hart
Systems Administrator