[lug] Fedora 16 and network alias

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Fri Mar 2 13:13:07 MST 2012

Hi,

It looks like around Fedora 15, several changes were made to administrative
configurations...lots of /etc/ changes. One change was to use the bios naming
to produce network interface names like "em1" instead of "eth0", others were
changes in CUPS file layout.

For the ethernet side, I don't mind using em1 versus eth0, though I see it has
caused a number of people to have to rewrite scripts. However, I need to create
a static alias for non-public internal networking, and although there are web
pages which show aliases/second-IP should work via something similar to
this in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-em1:0, the scripting is completely
ignored:

<CODE SNIPPET>
   IPADDR="192.168.1.2"
   NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
   NETWORK="192.168.1.0"
   BROADCAST="192.168.1.255"
   BOOTPROTO="static"
   DEVICE="em1:0"
   TYPE="Ethernet"
   ONBOOT="yes"
</CODE SNIPPET>
(OT: Wish I had a patent on the word "snippet"...or better yet, a copyright
on bugs...I'd sure be rich...let the guy with ownership of "1" and "0" be
jealous :P )

Even with proper permissions, and network restart, no alias ever shows
up. If I specifically use ifconfig on any alias name, whether it has a script
or not, e.g., "ifconfig em1:25", it shows up without error, but unconfigured,
like this:

em1:0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
          Interrupt:41 Base address:0x8000
...HWaddr edited, but it is the valid MAC in the real output.

Does anyone here know why Fedora 16 ignores a valid alias file? This
install is a fairly normal installation for a developer, and kept up to date.

Thanks!

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net