[lug] Fedora 16 and network alias

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Sat Mar 3 17:12:08 MST 2012

> Even with proper permissions, and network restart, no alias ever shows
> up. If I specifically use ifconfig on any alias name, whether it has
> a script or not, e.g., "ifconfig em1:25", it shows up without error,
> but unconfigured, like this:
>
> em1:0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           Interrupt:41 Base address:0x8000
> ...HWaddr edited, but it is the valid MAC in the real output.
>
> Does anyone here know why Fedora 16 ignores a valid alias file? This
> install is a fairly normal installation for a developer, and kept up
> to date.

Well, are they using the old 'network' service (not default) or
NetworkManager (default now)?

Does a 'ifup em1:0' work to bring it up?

You may need a:

NM_CONTROLLED=yes
(or no if you are using network).

The config was missing the NM_CONTROLLED, but regardless of using this or
not, and regardless of using service network restart or NetworkManager restart,
nothing happens. ifup em1:0 has an effect only with NetworkManager yes, but
not the desired effect of an alias.

It does seem there is additional validation going on in the case of NetworkManager=yes,
because if I name an alias that has no alias configuration, NetworkManager complains
of no configuration file; there is no complaint when using ifup no matter which configured
or unconfigured em1:number alias is used (e.g., ifup em1:29 has no complaint). With
NetworkManager used and NM_CONTROLLED,  ifup results in the original dhcp
non-alias apparently overwriting dhcp with the static address showing as em1 from
ifconfig, not an alias (em1:0 does not exist, and em1 becomes static; single-homed).

In summary, ifup has no effect without NM_CONTROLLED, and with it the
configuration of the non-alias is lost, overwritten by the alias.

So...how can I get the em1:0 to work without em1 dhcp config being lost? The
syntax in the config is correct, using em1:0 and file ifcfg-em1:0...so something
is ignoring the fact that it is an alias.

Thanks!

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net