[lug] Ubuntu Firefox v10.0.x Sluggishness & Fix (rantish)

Lori Reed lorireed at lightning-rose.com
Mon Mar 5 17:09:38 MST 2012

On 03/05/2012 11:55 AM, stimits at comcast.net wrote:
> The anomaly was that the spelling checker only recognized British
> spellings such as "colour", "analogue", and "recognise". Okay, that's
> annoying, but it's something I could live with.
>
> I found the same issue of the dictionary recognizing only the British
> spellings.
> However, under language settings, I have available only "en-us" and "en" on
> updated Fedora 16, firefox version 10.0.1. I have "en-us" selected, and
> nothing else, but cannot get rid of the non-US spellings.

I think you're looking under:
Edit->Preferences->Content->Languages-Choose

The GB & SA English packs that were causing my grief are under:
Tools->Add-ons->Languages
  Or
Edit->Preferences->Manage Add-ons->Languages

> I have had no performance
> hits, and use many plugins. I'm not sure, but it seems when I run top
> (actually,
> htop, which allows me to show PIDs in a tree) newer firefox may be using
> more threads than previous versions. I'm using a 4-core system, how many
> cores are running on yours? Could be without multiple core systems, that
> there are more thread-related bottlenecks.

I'm running a 3.2 GHz P4 with 1 core, 2 hyper threads, and 3.2 GB of
Visible RAM.

Performance is generally not an issue, especially now that I've disabled
the language packs. It's possible that every web page was being filtered
twice, making a pointless thing worse.