[lug] Ubuntu Firefox v10.0.x Sluggishness & Fix (rantish)

durist at frii.com durist at frii.com
Sat Mar 10 21:25:45 MST 2012

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 20:58:18 -0700, Collins Richey wrote:
> Reply to an earlier quote from Davide
>

> < I am personally liking Ubuntu less and less, but
> < there isn't any alternative distribution with LTS
> < so I'm stuck with it (if you are thinking
> < "RedHat", you are a system administration
> < and you haven't ever tried to install RedHat on
> < a modern laptop and used that as your ONLY
> machine, desktop replacement with docking
> < stations, etc etc etc.
>
> I parted ways with *buntu a couple of years ago, and no I'm not
> thinking RedHat. PCLinuxOS is my flavor of choice. It's install once,
> update forever, and it works great on laptops. I'm running an
> up-to-date LXDE variant (they have Gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc.) on this
> System 76 netbook. The latest kernel even fixed my wireless problems
> (weak reception).
>
> Enjoy,

For rolling distros, there's also Linux Mint Debian Edition, based on
Debian testing. It's been quite stable for me. The only hassle is it
only comes as a DVD image (not CD), so can be difficult to install on
older hardware.

I don't know what the default desktop is like, though, since I run
fluxbox.